SPECIAL OLYMPICS JOHNSON COUNTY (SOJC)
Events Week August 4th, 2014
SPECIAL NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT FOR PARTNERS TO ATTEND PRACTICES, AS WELL AS GAMES.
ALL ATHLETES, PARTNERS, COACH/VOLUNTEER – CURRENT AND NEW MUST COMPLETE THE NEW Special Olympics FORMS (see attached)
Monday, August 4th – Softball Games at (See attached Schedule)
· 6:05PM – Sox Traditional Team w/Designated Pitcher (Megan & Patti Coaches) at Indianapolis Sports Park, Inc located at 6701 S Harding Street on the south side. **EVERYONE GETS IN FOR FREE. JUST SAY YOU ARE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS.**
· 7:05PM – Owls Unified Team (Steve Rohl Coach) play at Damar Services located 6067 Decatur Blvd., Indianapolis
Tuesday, August 5th –
· 6:00PM – Volleyball Practice at Clark Pleasant Intermediate School on Sheek Rd
· 7:00PM Golf practice at Hickory Stick Golf Course, 4422 Hickory Stick Blvd., Greenwood
Wednesday, August 6th –
· 6:00PM - Flag Football Practice East Park, Whiteland
· 6:00PM – Corn Hole Toss East Park, Whiteland
· 6:00PM & 6:45PM – Volley Ball Games SOJC Tornadoes at Riverside Family Center located at 2420 White River Parkway East Drive, Indianapolis.
Saturday, August 9th –
· SOJC Annual Yard Sale organized by SOJC ALPs (Athletic Leadership Program) See attached flyer
o 8AM – 3PM at New Hope Church, 5307 Fairview Road, Greenwood (between Pleasant Grove Elementary and Mount Pleasant Church on Fairvew Rd)
o You may dropped of (preferably already priced items) Friday at 6:30PM at the Church or make other arrangements
o My need truck after the yard sale to remove & transport anything unsold.
August 16th – 1:00PM Bowling practice at Southern Bowl (Saturdays)
Please call hotline to register, 738-7038 OR send RELPY email
· Name and if you are a ramp bowler or not and if you bowl on at team last year.
· Cost is $6.00 per week for two games and shoes IF NEEDED, same price if you have your own bowling shoes)
· NEED Bowling Lane Assistants for all ramp and single bowlers (though not having unified partners)
o October 18th SOJC County Tournament
§ NOTE: must participate in to qualify participation in Area 8 Bowling Tournament.
o November 1st & 2nd – Area 8 Bowling Tournament
o December 6th & 7th – Special Olympics STATE Bowling tournament
PLEASE let the Bowling coaches know right away if you would like to participate in SOJC bowling, but will NOT be able to attend any of above Tournaments.
September 6th – Annual Fed Ex Plane Pull (we have brochures available and couple of posters)
· Start forming teams now. Go to www.soindiana.org to register
o We have a SOJC Special Olympics team which consists of 10 athletes and 10 partners, Please let Rita or Ryan know if you would like to participate on this team.
Saturday September 13th – EKS (Eunice Kennedy Shriver) Games:
· Softball – State Tournament at Midwest Sports Complex, 7509 Augusta Rd., Indpls.
· Golf Skills – at Hickory Stick Golf Course, 4422 Hickory Stick Blvd., Greenwood
· Corn Toss – for Traditional Doubles 21ft ONLY these TEAMS *
o * Ask your coach, Becki Miller what day you compete, if unsure)
Sunday, September 14th - EKS (Eunice Kennedy Shriver) Games at: - Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School located at 2801 W 86th Street, Indianapolis
§ Flag Football State
§ Tournament Volleyball State Tournament
§ Corn Toss State Tournament –
§ Traditional Doubles 30ft and Unified doubles*
o Ask your coach Becki Miller what day you compete, (If unsure)
Sunday, September 28th – Guitar Works Fundraising Event
· Volunteers needed to work at carnival for 1-2 hour shifts. See Kevin Aders
· Donations for Silent Auction See Ruth Whyde
Saturday, October 4th – Franklin Fall Festival
§ 8AM – 6PM at Franklin downtown square
§ Parade at ?? ( # of athletes to ride float are limited)
§ Volunteers for 1-2 hour shifts welcomed for pick a duck, face painting & pick a sucker
§ SOJC Outreach and merchandise sales.
PLEASE Call Hot Line 317-738-7038
o Confirm practices and game times,
o If weather is questionable, please call the Hot Line after 5PM or one hour prior to time of
Practice or games,
Check if there is a cancellation.
Enjoy your Week!
MOST Important, Have Fun!!
Special Olympics is an international nonprofit organization that is dedicated to empowering individuals with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics Johnson County (SOJC) is your local chapter to this great organization. SOJC provides year round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities in order to create experiences like the joy of achievement, being included in the community, building skills, developing leadership abilities, and making lifelong friends.
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy, and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills, and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community. Our vision is to empower people with intellectual disabilities to realize their full potential and develop their skills through year-round sports training and competition. As a result, Special Olympics athletes become fulfilled and productive members of their families and the communities in which they live. Special Olympics is an experience that is energizing, healthy, skillful, welcoming and joy filled.